Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday...kinda

I keep seeing all of these super cute wreaths on Pinterest and Etsy, and because I LOVE Fall, I have been dying to have one ASAP.  I decided (because I'm cheap) that there was no way in hell I was paying the outrageous amounts they were asking, and that I would just make my own.  So, I took my ass to Michael's (on a Sunday Sale day, wtf was I thinking??) and got to shopping!  Actually it was more like rummaging.  The shoppers before me had left that place looking like craft hell.  It was a disaster and I almost turned around and left.  But I wanted my damn wreath supplies so I persevered and dug on. 

I finally found two decent "twig" wreaths (on sale for $4.99), which was the biggest battle of all.  Then I managed to scrounge up some flowers and some ribbon that matched my color scheme (don't be fooled by my decorating vocabulary, that's as fancy as it gets).  I also found some cute glittery pumpkins in the dollar bin, score!  I had a couple of coupons, and everything total came out to a little under $30.  I knew I wanted to spray paint at least one of the wreaths, and I already had the spray paint at home, another plus. 

Here are the supplies I had to work with:


(The Polka dot in the middle and the owl ribbon on the far right came from Wal-Mart.)

I spray painted the wreath first and it turned out just how I had planned, what are the odds of that happening?  Next, I picked which flowers I wanted, and decided on a ribbon.  Now, I know nothing about  making bows, so I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do.  I looked through my crafty crap on Pinterest to see if I had ever pinned a "how to" on making bows, but the only tutorials I had were for hairbows; not quite what I needed.  I figured I could tweak it some.  I figured wrong.  There were way too many steps for this ADD chick, and it seems that my short pudgy fingers are of no use when it comes to looping and holding and well, making bows.  So, I just started cutting pieces of ribbon, making big loops, and stapling (yeah I ghetto rigged it, what of it!!) them together.  If I hadn't told you that's what I did, you would have never known!  Damn my honesty.  I got my BEAUTIFUL BOW and flowers, arranged them accordingly, and put my trusty glue gun to work.  Final touch was gluing my glittery pumpkin smack dab in the middle of my very professional bow. 

Bam!


Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!

Now, you may be wondering why I put this fabulous wreath up on such an ugly door.  The reason is because no one uses our front door.  Ever.  Everyone uses the door in the garage, and I wanted people to be welcomed by my wreath full of fall happiness!  It makes me happy evertime I see it, and for a brief moment I close my eyes and pretend that it's about 60 degress outside!  A girl can dream :)

I haven't finished the second wreath because a) the first one turned out so cute I'm afraid of screwing up the next one, b) I'm lazy, and c) there's no c but you know how I roll with odd numbers...

Now stop reading this and get out there and make some effing fall wreaths!
Fall: "If we decorate, it will come"!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment