Monday, September 3, 2012

Donorschoose.org

For those of you who don't know, there is an AMAZING website, www.donorschoose.org that is dedicated to helping teachers!  Teachers/educators log in, create a "project" for their classroom, choose the materials, explain the need, and post their project for donors to see and (hopefully) help fund!  It is so easy to use and I am so glad I found out about it this past school year.  I have already had three, that's right, THREE projects fully funded since I got started with donorschoose.org.  The materials that we have received have been so fun for my students to use. 

Our first project was funded last spring and the materials were all science related.  The most fascinating thing we received were our live caterpillars that we were able to watch turn into beautiful butterflies!  You can teach the butterfly's life cycle all day everyday to four year olds and hope they understand.  But giving them the opportunity to SEE the life cycle first hand, that was pure awesomeness, and I KNOW they understood after that! 

The other two projects were focused on literacy and art.  We just received our literacy package that included some awesome chicka chicka boom boom trees and literacy games.  Our art package is on it's way and includes a large art easel, a desktop art easel, new paint, paintbrushes, sponges, smocks, table covers, and so much more!  It is going to be like Christmas around here when my kiddos get to open up their new art supplies! 

All together I have received almost $2000 worth of materials for my classroom.  As a teacher, and someone who spends close to $100 a month on my students and classroom, having those supplies simply GIVEN to me meant more than words can express.  I never would have been able to afford to just go out and buy all of those items, and my students would never have had the chance to experience the things they have.  Our most recent project is all about technology.  Because we have no student computers in our classroom, I decided to "wish" for two small tablets for our classroom.  I have no idea if/when it will ever be funded, but I have no problem patiently waiting to see!  I have been so very blessed thus far, and can't wait to see what other wonderful things donorschoose.org may have to offer!

If you are interested in learning about my past projects, as well as seeing my most recent projects that have not yet been funded, please visit here:  www.donorschoose.org/krohrbach and check it out!

Let's change some lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment